Murder charge for Ingham man

Ingham man on murder charge after Josh Hyde's death

Police investigations are continuing.

Police investigations are continuing.


A MAN has been charged with murder following the stabbing death of 20-year-old Ingham man Josh Hyde on Sunday night.


A MAN has been charged with murder following the stabbing death of 20-year-old Ingham man Josh Hyde on Sunday night.

The 24-year-old man had been on the run for three days before handing himself into Ingham Police Station about 9am this morning.

Mr Hyde had been walking on McIlwraith Street with two females, aged 25 and 16, when another man approached the group about 11.30pm.

An altercation broke out and the stabbing occurred. The women and other witnesses provided medical assistance before paramedics arrived and took Mr Hyde to Ingham Hospital in a critical condition. He died about 12.40am on Monday.

Townsville Detective Inspector Chris Lawson said the 24-year-old Ingham man was accompanied by several people when he presented at the police station this morning.

He was subsequently charged with murder as a domestic violence offence, breach of a domestic violence order and breach of bail.

He will face the charges in the Townsville Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Insp Lawson said police were yet to properly interview the man and investigations were ongoing.

He said the relationship between the accused and victim had not been established.

"(The men) are both from Ingham so it would not surprise me if they were known to each other but the extent of that is yet to be established," Insp Lawson said.

"At this stage we don't want to speculate, we've got one side of the story and we'd like to get his side of the story as well to establish what the facts are."

He said the domestic violence charged related to one of the females the victim was with at the time of the offence, but would not comment further, saying the female's well-being was a priority.

"Obviously they are still distraught, they were part of an horrific offence so they need a little bit of privacy and to comprehend what's occurred," Insp Lawson said.

"It was obviously someone they knew and the issues surrounding that are quite significant... they'll need some help to get through it."

Insp Lawson said the weapon used in the attack had still not been found and asked members of the public to alert police if they found anything suspicious in the vicinity of the incident, or had further information to aid the investigation.


From the front page

Sponsored by