Queensland records one 'unknown' new case

A 26 year-old man has been infectious in the community for a week

Coronavirus
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said there is "no cause for alarm".

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said there is "no cause for alarm".

Aa

From noon today aged care facilities, hospitals, and prisons in Brisbane City and Morton Bay region will be closed to visitors.

Aa

Queensland has recorded one new case of COVID-19 after a 26-year-old man tested positive yesterday.

He has been infectious in the community since last Friday.

Authorities are not aware of how the man contracted the virus and are undertaking genome sequencing to trace the source of the virus.

From noon today aged care facilities, hospitals, and prisons in both Brisbane City and the Morton Bay region will be closed to visitors.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said there is "no cause for alarm".

"These are sensible precautions to look after our most vulnerable. What we are going to ask is people of course in the Brisbane City Council areas and in Moreton, is that if you are in crowded areas, to wear a mask," she said.

"If you're going to a football match on the weekend, where your mask going into the venue. If you are on a crowded train, put a mask on. These are the sensible precautions and we will be updating you over the weekend there are any more cases."

Chief health officer Dr Janette Young said the man has taken the neccessary precautions since testing positive.

"This gentleman developed symptoms on Monday, became reasonably unwell. He then stayed home so he had been out and about in a presymptomatic period as you would expect for a young man," she said.

"He stayed home, has been fantastic. [He] came forward and got tested so we know what is going on so we can contact trace as he did. So please, any signs of illness at all, stay home and get yourself tested."

"We don't know where this virus is next going to pop up but as I have always said, if we can find the first case in a cluster, not the 40th, we will be able to get on top of that much, much weekly."

Dr Younghas called on Queenslanders to spend the weekend outdoors.

"If you are in that vulnerable cohort, maybe stay-at-home for the next few days until we understand exactly what is happening here. So at this point, I am just asking that everyone adhere to the requirements still in place," she said.

"We know outdoor is a very low risk. Go out and really enjoy the outdoors this weekend. You couldn't imagine a better weekend. It is just perfect. So everybody please, go outdoors, enjoy the outdoors. We know that is very low-risk stop if you are going indoors."

Dr Young said what happens in the next few days will decide if the Queensland will adopt anymore restrictions.

"Queenslanders know what to do, they do it well, so I would hope we don't need to have more restrictions but it just depends what unfolds over the next 24, 48 hours. We need to get used to living with this virus," she said.

The story Queensland records one 'unknown' new case first appeared on Queensland Country Life.

Aa

From the front page

Sponsored by