After a stellar mango season this year, more than 100,000 trays of late season mango varieties are expected to hit supermarket shelves nationwide for a limited time.
The late season drop will see around 564,000 tonnes of late season mangoes hit supermarkets from February through to the end of March.
The sought after varieties include Keitt, Kent and Palmer Australian Mangoes, which are now in stores.
Although they may not be widely known as the earlier season classics such as Kensington Pride, the late season varieties are expected to deliver the taste of summer even as the weather starts to cool.
Favco Farming general manager and Far North Queensland mango grower John Nardi said he's particularly proud of the quality and care taken by Australian growers that ensure each mango is packed full of flavour.
"Late season varieties pack the unique taste as their first off the tree cousins, but they have the added quality of allowing us the final sweet summer flavour we all know and love as we look towards the autumn months," Mr Nardi said.
"While we're particularly proud of their sweet and delicious flavour profile, many people don't realise that mangoes are also packed with loads of health benefits, making them a mouth-watering and nutritious snack for any time of day.
"There's no hiding from the fact that this season has been challenging, but the final harvest of Aussie mangoes should provide some solace for the year ahead."
Late season varieties will be available nationwide at your local fresh fruit and vegetable retailer.
Late season Mango varieties profiles
- Keitt-Boasting a sweet mild flavour, this medium to large fruit can be devoured at all stages of ripeness. With skin a pinky red blush, the yellowy orange flesh has a firm texture, making the Keitt the perfect travel companion.
- Kent-With a romantic red to purple blush, the Kent mango is a medium to large fruit - the perfect mango to share. Its sweet taste and medium to firm texture make it a top-choice fruit this season.
- Palmer-A standout on the shelf due to its unusual dark red colouring and vibrant flesh, the aroma of the firm and sweet mango quickly hits the senses - this season's most sought-after item.
- Brooks-Known for its pale orange skin with no blush, this medium-sized mango is packed with sweet flavour and yellow flesh.
- Parvin-The smooth, fibreless and firm fleshed fruit is a favourite for a snack, thanks to its smaller size and sweet juicy and tangy flavour. It's easy to spot in supermarkets due to its lovely pearl-flecked skin with a bright orange to red blush.
These late season varieties will be available to tantalise taste buds until mid-March, closing out another successful mango season as the must-have summer item.