The 2020 Mount Isa Mines Rodeo will not go ahead due to the current biosecurity emergency.
Isa Rodeo chief executive officer Natalie Flecker said the Isa Rodeo Limited Board's decision was made following the March 18 declaration of a Human Biosecurity Emergency by the Australian Governor-General in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Ms Flecker said the current Biosecurity Emergency declaration was in force until at least mid-June, 2020, but could be further extended.
"While this is disappointing, the safety of our competitors, community, patrons, rodeo team, sponsors, volunteers and stock is our most important consideration and we are not prepared to hold the 2020 Rodeo event while the current pandemic continues to pose a human biosecurity emergency," she said.
"We will look forward to putting on an amazing event in 2021, and thank our very loyal sponsors, rodeo fans, competitors and everyone who loves the sport of rodeo.
"On behalf of the Mount Isa Mines Rodeo, we have just one wish - that our Mount Isa community and Rodeo family stays well and we support each other through these challenging times until we come through, better and stronger."
Ms Flecker also paid tribute to the 2020 Isa Rodeo Queen Quest entrants who had been forced to suspend their fundraising.
"Our three wonderful entrants, Krystle Chong, Kelly-Maree Jones and Maddie Grey will re-commence as 2021 Queen Quest entrants when it is appropriate to do so," she said.
The 2021 Mount Isa Mines Rodeo will be held from 12-15 August, 2021 and is expected to attract more than 600 of Australia's competitors and almost 40,000 visitors to experience the rodeo festival including RODEO ROCK concerts, the Isa Street Festival, Mailman Express horse races, bush poets breakfast and more."