A worker has been killed at a central Queensland coal mine, prompting a call for the mining industry to be shut down for at least 24 hours.
The death of the 27-year-old man at the coal mine in Baralaba about 4am on Sunday was followed by a serious accident involving another worker about 8am at a North Queensland coal mine.
Queensland Mines Minister Anthony Lynham said the death and injury toll is unacceptable.
"I am extremely distressed and concerned that there has been six mining and quarry worker deaths in the last 12 months," Dr Lynham said.
"I will be making it absolutely clear that this situation is unacceptable and requires action."
CFMEU Queensland mining and energy president Steve Smyth said the mining industry should be shut down for at least 24 hours so some "serious reflection can occur".
"It's terrible, we're sick of it ... it's a safety crisis," Mr Smyth said.
"We've been saying there needs to be a major safety reset."
Just hours after the fatality at Baralaba, a man fell about 10 metres from a platform at Glencore's Collinsville Coal Mine.
"The employee was injured in a fall at the site's coal washery," Glencore said.
He is in a serious but stable condition at Townsville Hospital.
The Mines Inspectorate has been notified. They are also investigating the death at Baralaba.
That fatality follows the death of excavator operator David Routledge late last month after a wall collapsed at Middlemount Coal Mine.
Australian Associated Press