INTENSE flooding and severe wet weather in the state’s north will not impact on the February All Breeds sale in Rockhampton, which will go ahead next week as scheduled.
A total of 570 bulls and females across 13 breeds and their composites have been catalogued for the sale which will take place on February 12 and 13.
Elders livestock agent Robert Murray said cattle had been drawn from areas predominantly south of Rockhampton, so flooding in the north and north-west would not prevent vendors from attending.
Mr Murray said only a handful of bulls were usually sold to buyers in the flood-stricken areas around Julia Creek and Richmond, so the impact on buyer numbers would be minimal.
“They are basically all south, there’s a couple of studs around Rockhampton, but they’re predominantly Gympie, Gayndah, Roma and Monto areas and some from over the boarder.
“It will probably not effect our sale, in northern areas they go to Clermont, Nebo, Middlemount, Alpha so there will be access while only handful go to Richmond or Julia Creek.”
“Most go within those areas, they are pretty dry at the moment as none of the rain from the north has come down.
“The sale is usually pretty good, with good bulls at a reasonable rate.
“This year there is good bulls there, we’ve got really good bulls coming and a good line up of Brahman stud females.”
It comes after the Big Country Brahman sale in Charters Towers was postponed from this week to February 18 and 19 due to the big wet.
Geaney's Real Estate and Livestock agent Jim Geaney this morning said the revised dates for the sale would remain at this stage, though organisers were keeping a close eye on the weather.
Monsoonal rain has continued to lash the north and north-west with huge rainfall totals of between 400mm-500mm falling in the last week in the areas between Cloncurry and Hughenden.
Several Townsville suburbs also remain inundated after the city received over 1.5 metres of rainfall in a week.
Mr Geaney said the decision to postpone the sale for a fortnight had not been made lightly, but was in the best interests of vendors, buyers and the cattle.
“Everything is still booked for the 18th and 19th of February, but we will make a call as the weather dictates.
“Everything is still in place.
“They are saying this weather will clear out west around Julia Creek and Richmond on Friday, so we’re hoping for a full week of sunshine.
“Our number one priority is safety and whether the vendors and buyers can get in.”