Tips for effective breeder management in Northern Australia and tools to enhance carcase assessment are among the topics to be discussed at a two-day BeefUp showcase event for Gulf beef producers at Karumba, Queensland in October.
Presented by Meat & Livestock Australia (MLA), Gulf Cattleman’s Association and Northern Gulf Resource Management Group, the event on 13 and 14 October at Karumba Recreation Ground will feature a range of speakers, demonstrations of new tools and technology including drones, and a site visit to Karumba Livestock Exports.
It is one of a series of MLA producer forums being held throughout Australia, designed to update producers on the latest regionally-relevant cattle research and development and provide producers with information and tools they can use in their businesses.
The event will also be an opportunity for producers to have input into where they believe their levies should be directed in terms of research, development and adoption (RD&A) priorities. The producer consultation session will be facilitated by MLA BeefUp Day coordinator Barb Bishop.
MLA Managing Director, Richard Norton, will attend to provide an update on MLA’s latest RD&A programs.
Other presenters will include:
- Dr Ian Braithwaite – Effective breeder management in Northern Australia
- Richard Apps, MLA - R&D tools to enhance carcase assessment
- Jarrod Lees, MLA – Tough or tender – how do you know?
- Barb Bishop – High performing teams – getting the best from your people
- Jodie Lucas, Principal Inspector Agriculture and Helen Clancy, Small Business Adviser – Serious about farm safety
- Kendrick Cox, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries – Improved pasture and feedbase R&D update
- Ronald Thompson, GreenCollar Group – Carbon farming opportunities
- Justin Toohey – Biosecurity Planning
- Michael Corcoran, AuctionsPlus – Livestock trading options and market trends.
- A number of panel discussions will also feature, focusing on ‘Managing your production system’, and ‘Next Gen – Future in Production’.
Rugby league great, Shane Webcke will be guest speaker at a beef dinner on Friday night, 13 October, and a gala ball will be held on Saturday night, 14 October.
Registration for the BeefUp Showcase is essential by Tuesday, 10 October. Cost to attend is $40 per person and includes morning and afternoon tea, lunch and barbecue dinner. The gala ball is $40 per person.
To register click here.