Eight North West Queensland councils are in the running for a share of the $70 million Round three of the Palaszczuk Government’s Building our Regions program.
Minister for State Development Dr Anthony Lynham said 15 projects had been shortlisted in the North West.
“It is pleasing to see the variety of shortlisted projects in the region—including a playground and a water park, fibre optic connectivity, flood mitigation, a reservoir, airport facilities and improvements, and stormwater upgrades,” Dr Lynham said.
“North west Queensland councils with shortlisted projects are seeking a total of almost $6.37 million from Building our Regions.
“Detailed applications will open shortly and all councils will have to demonstrate compelling reasons for their projects to gain funding.”
The funds come from the government’s $375 million Building our Regions infrastructure program, which is reinvesting royalties in regional Queensland.
So far, $150 million has been allocated to 93 critical infrastructure projects, supporting almost 1300 jobs.
The projects are attracting a further $275 million investment from councils and other organisations.
Thirteen north-west projects from Winton to Mornington have already been allocated $13.19 million under previous rounds of Building our Regions.
“They range from stormwater drainage, a reservoir, fibre optic connectivity, alternative power sources, an emergency landing strip, fuel facility upgrades and community facilities,” he said.
“The next stage of assessment will be very competitive and I urge councils to contact my Department of State Development (DSD) for further advice on developing their detailed applications.”
Detailed applications will then undergo a rigorous assessment process by DSD and an advisory committee of senior Queensland Government executives.
Dr Lynham said he expected successful projects to be announced in mid-2017 with construction of these projects expected to start no later than 30 April 2018.
Shortlisted projects from North West Queensland councils are:
- Urandangi Airport upgrade – Boulia Shire Council
- Sheaffe Street stormwater upgrade – Cloncurry Shire Council
- Scarr Street stormwater upgrade – Cloncurry Shire Council
- Cloncurry stormwater infrastructure upgrades – Stage 3 – Cloncurry Shire Council
- Dutton Street flood mitigation works – Cloncurry Shire Council
- Nicholson River Weir Lookout upgrade – Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council
- Doomadgee cycle and pedestrian pathways – Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council
- Doomadgee Airport carpark – Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council
- Doomadgee Water Park – Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council
- Julia Creek Airport upgrade – McKinlay Shire Council
- Mornington Island concrete batching plant – Mornington Shire Council
- Mount Isa Water Reservoir No. 3 reconstruction – Mount Isa City Council
- Richmond water bottling plant – Richmond Shire Council
- Winton fibre optic project – Winton Shire Council
- Winton interactive playground – Winton Shire Council