A fire at GrainCorp's Murtoa site in Victoria is now under control.
National Grains Industry Reporter
Gregor Heard is Fairfax Ag Media's national grains industry reporter, based in Horsham, Victoria. He has a wealth of knowledge surrounding the cropping sector through his ten years in the role. Prior to that he was with the Fairfax network as a reporter with Stock & Land. Some of the major issues he has reported on during his time with the company include the deregulation of the export wheat market, the introduction of genetically modified crops and the fight to protect growers better from grain trader insolvencies. Still involved with the family farm he is passionate about rural Australia and its people and hopes to use his role to act as an advocate for those involved in the grain sector. Away from work, he is a keen traveller, having spent his long service leave last year in Spain learning the language.
The leader of a Queensland-based grower research group has questioned the value of conducting national variety trial (NVT) work on sorghum.
ABARES forecasts a 41 per cent year on year drop in overall crop production - but the season is close to the long term average.
There have been some improvements, but more needs to be done on improving grain transport supply chains according to Victorian growers.
The official Canadian forecaster has made massive upgrades to the size of the 2017 crop in the North American nation.
All levy-funded ag research organisations are different - and there is more to it than just whether the group is industry owned or not.
It's official! The Pacific Ocean has entered La Niña territory, after coming within a whisker of El Niño earlier in the year.
Farmers in central Queensland are rejoicing as a timely storm-driven rainfall delivered up to 240mm across the region last week.
IT IS not often farmers in Australia's low rainfall zones are happy with getting less rain than expected. Last week was one of those times.
- While big bank behavior takes a public relations caning, customer-owned mutual banks have doubled their asset base to $110 billion, with considerable support from the bush
- Fancy living and working on the Cape?
- The Bureau of Meteorology has confirmed we are now in a La Nina phase but says the system is likely to be weak and short-lived.
- Is the market over-cooked and are producers running headlong into trouble with high price purchases?
- First home buyers are back in Australia, with numbers surging particularly in NSW and Victoria.
- A renewed focus on flavour is pushing the Australian mango industry to new heights.
- High-quality houses and apartments in inner-Sydney and fashionably located properties with redevelopment potential sold for bullish prices at weekend auctions.
- All levy-funded ag research organisations are different - and there is more to it than just whether the group is industry owned or not.
- Townsville Orthopaedic surgeon, Dr Phil Sheard becomes a regular in Mount Isa.
Search over 20,000 rural real estate listings online including farms, rural property and acreage for sale.
Connecting Livestock Buyers & Sellers: Your one-stop shop for livestock news, reports and sale listings.